What to consider if you want to work at home.
The dream of working from home is alluring to many of us. Many successful and failed businesses have been started from the home or garage. The internet is full of reasons why you should start a business from home. There are also hundreds of so called “home-based” business opportunities for people to waste their money on.
The problem with many of these opportunities besides being masked multi-level marketing scams or requiring investments is that people do not realize the impact of working from home full-time may have on their lives. Before you start a business based in the home there are several factors to consider and questions to ask yourself.
Factors to consider:
· Working at home requires a great deal of discipline and organization. There are many distractions if you work at home including but not limited to: Television, friends, errands, housework, street sounds, neighbors, children, food etc. If at all possible place your home office in a location to mimic an office environment. A daily to do list will help keep you organized.
· Working at home like any new business is rarely a 9 to 5 job. You must consider the different times zones domestically and internationally and arrange your schedule according to your customers.
· If you have children that may be at home, make sure you have organized their activities so that you can work. Speaking as a parent, I can assure you that the interruptions only increase when you are at home.
· Staying healthy. In most office environments there is some degree of exercise usually walking or standing. Working from a home computer may change that if you do not stop and move around, eat properly, resist the urge to take frequent naps etc.
· Self employment is normally NOT a regular paycheck in the beginning if at all. You are paid when your customers pay, this is unlikely to be spread out evenly. How long are you prepared to live on “bread and water”?
· Starting a business at home will require a great deal of marketing and networking. Be prepared for time requirements.
· There are many other factors to consider when starting a business from home. Individual factors depend on the type of business you want to start and why you are starting it.
Questions to ask yourself.
· Why am I starting this business?
· What is my goal?
· Am I disciplined?
· Why can and should I do this?
· Have I thought this through?
· Does it sound too good to be true?
· How long before I can expect a positive cash flow?
· How long after a positive cash flow can I actually make a living?
· Do I believe in myself?
· What is my support system, financially, emotionally?
Talk to The Entrepreneur’s Advisor™ before you start a home based business at any level. For new businesses we recommend a 2-hour purchase so that we can assist you understanding your opportunity and making sure you have the proper tools to begin. In addition, when you purchase your first 2 hours you will receive our free guides on cost savings and business planning. These free guides are invaluable for any new business and guaranteed to save you money. We are unique because we are “Entrepreneurs” and your success is our success.
For more information on the services and advice categories we offer visit us at